Photography is very important to your blog post. Whether you are writing about a recipe, a home repair, a fashion post or a list on changing market trends, you need a photo give your readers a visual draw. In many cases, you can and should take your own photographs. In some cases, you need to figure out where to find free photos for commercial use.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Where to Find Free Photos for Commercial Use
Photographs belong to the people who take them. You should never use a photograph you find randomly online unless you have the author’s specific permission to do that. Just linking back to the site you found the photo on or mentioning where it came from in most cases is not enough. Using photographs in ways that you haven’t received permission for can result in fines and lawsuits.
There are a few definitions you need to understand first.
- Attribution – A concept in photography where you give credit to the source of the photograph.
- Commercial Use – The use of a photograph in any way that earns you money.
- Creative Commons – A non-profit organization with the goal of providing images that can be legally shared with conditions.
- Royalty Free Images – Images that can be used without royalty fees with certain conditions. You may be required to pay a license fee.
There are a number of different sites that offer photos for commercial use. Some require attribution. Some require a fee. It’s very important that you look at the conditions for each photograph before you use it. Never assume you can use it on your blog without checking. If you earn money in any way on your blog – whether a sponsored post, advertising or affiliate income, the images you use must be intended for commercial use.
These are a few of my favorite sites:
- Morguefile – Images are free. Attribution is recommended. See their terms.
- Unsplash – 10 new photos every 10 days. Free. No attribution required. See their terms.
- Gratisography – Images are free. No attribution required. See their terms.
- Life of Pix – Images are free and in the public domain. No attribution. See their terms.
- Startup Stock – Free images. Does not specify terms. May be safe to attribute.
- MMT – Free photos. No fees or attribution.
- Pexels – Free stock photos. No attribution. See their terms.
- Magdeleine – Free photos. No attribution mentioned but may be safe to attribute just in case.
- Jay Mantri – Free photos with no attribution. See their terms.
- Stock Snap – Photos that are free with no attribution. See their terms.
- ISO Republic – Free photos. Attribution not required but appreciated. See their terms.
- Pixaby – Free photos with no attribution. See their terms.
- Shuteroo – Free images. Attribution requested but not required.
- Good Free Photos – Free stock images. No attribution needed.
For more photography related articles, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Beautiful typography Photo Apps for Bloggers from Pretty Opinionated
- 5 Simple Photography Tips for Blogging from Day by Day in Our World